Highrath Castle was built in the late sixteenth century by a branch of the Shorthall Family. It remained their residence until its confiscation in 1654, when the ownership passed to Charles Meredith, a Captain in Cromwell’s army. By 1664 the tower was the residence of Edmund Jackson, who Carrigan records as paying 4s hearth money for his ‘house at Highrath’.
There is very little documentation on the building and it does not appear to have under gone any archaeological surveys or excavations. The tower house was in use until the mid-1980s, and the adjoining modern building is still occupied. The tower house is in the private ownership of the Cassin family.