Geashill Station opened in 1856 and serviced the estate village of Geashill and surrounding areas. Geashill station is located on the Portarlington to Tullamore section of the Athlone Branch of the Great Southern and Western Railway. This once busy station ceased to operate public passenger services in 1963 and continued to transport goods, mostly cattle, until 1979. Indeed so busy was the station transporting cattle that approximately 50 wagons of cattle would be transported from here every day and special cattle pens were constructed to accommodate them.
Add a comment about this page