Fenit - Little Samphire Lighthouse
Since 1854 Little Samphire Island Lighthouse (An Fhianait Teach Solais) has served as a navigation light for Tralee Bay. Construction began around 1848 in famine times with materials transported by boat from the mainland.
Lightkeepers manned the station for more than a hundred years from 1854 to 1956. While automated in 1954 a keeper remained in residence until 1956 after which the lighthouse was serviced from the mainland. Although navigation technology has reduced its relevance, Little Samphire Island Lighthouse still serves as a navigation beckon to this day.
Read more about the Little Samphire Island Lighthouse