Colbert Railway Station building itself was opened in 1857 on the Great Southern & Western Railway (GS&WR) replacing an earlier, temporary station some 500m further east. The station was originally known simply as the Limerick Railway Station until 1966 when it was named after Cornelius Colbert, the County Limerick man executed following the 1916 Easter Rising. This station is unusually located as it was custom to locate such a structure centrally within a city. Aristocratic and middle class interests prevented it from being constructed in the more fashionable parts of the city and so it was therefore built at the edge of the Victorian part of the city. Its architect was English architect and surveyor Sancton Wood (1815-1886) who also designed the Old Kilkenny Railway Station, Heuston Station, Portlaoise Station and Thurles Station.
Add a comment about this page