Fenit Port & Marina
For centuries the Old Port of Fenit was Barrow Harbour. The port was key in medieval times to monastic settlements in Ardfert. Blennerville Quay became the primary area port built in the middle of the 17th century until silting compromised its viability. Tralee Ship Canal, a town port was completed in 1846, superseding Blennerville, but before long silting and the increasing size of incoming ships doomed its viability. A deep-water port was established in Fenit in the late 1880’s.
The modern-day Fenit Viaduct & Harbour was upgraded in the early 1950’s. The old wooden structure was replaced when it was discovered that during construction some wooden piles had not been treated with creosote. The non-creosoted piles were damaged by sea worms and were rotting leaving the pier in a dangerous condition. The old wooden structure was replaced and opened in 1955. Fenit remains an important international port to this day, and the modern structure includes a deep-sea pier of approximately 175 meters.