Broadstone was operational from 1847. It was constructed as the Dublin terminus of the Midland & Great Western Railway, which was established in competition with the Great Southern & Western Railway to serve the west of the country in the mid-nineteenth century. It was designed by John Skipton Mulvaney, and initially overlooked the Royal Canal harbour at Broadstone. Known as the ‘Director’s House’, this building was not a public entrance to the train shed behind, but rather housed the offices of the MGWR company. It stops being operational on 18thJanuary 1937.
Add a comment about this page