This beautiful An Oige Hostel in a remote part of Co Donegal was designed by the famous architect Edwin Lutyens as a hunting lodge for the Honorable Robert and Mrs Phillimore of London c 1907.
Robert sadly died but his widow continued to visit the area. In 1910, in consideration of the fact that the poor locals had to endure a 2 hour walk in all weathers to get to the Catholic chapel, she had this Cross erected near the lodge. However Canon Gavigan refused to bless the cross or have anything to do with it. In 1937 the lodge was handed to the emerging An Oige Organisation and is in use as a Youth Hostel. It is the only Lutyens Building in Ireland in which you can sleep! The Cross and the Lodge are located at Dundoan Lower, near Tra na Rossan beach, on the road to Melmore just off the Atlantic Drive, near Carrigart , Co Donegal. Post Code F92 VY86
Comments about this page
Good to know the history of that Cross, many thanks Angela.
Add a comment about this page