Sunville Upper is in the Electoral Division of Particles, in Civil Parish of Particles, in the Barony of Coshlea, in the County of Limerick
The Irish name for Sunville Upper is Baile an Ghrianaigh Uachtarach
Sunville Upper is on Logainm.ie: Sunville Upper.
The date of the second excerpt is interesting, given that 1835 is inscribed as the year of construction over the entrance door. The Samuel A Austin mentioned in the first excerpt was owner of the Mortalstown estate. He died at Jersey in 1843. All excerpts ©Irish Newspaper Archives
"At a meeting of the parishioners of Kilfinane and Ardpatrick held on the 19th January 1859, Mr Michael Birmingham in the chair; Mr Charles O'Shaughnessy, secretary. Proposed by Mr. John McMahon, seconded by Mr. John Fitzgerald:
Resolved - That however grievous was the loss to these parishes in the death of our late lamented Parish Priest, Very Rev M Fitzgibbon, it is consolation to know and feel that the vacancy thus occasioned could not be more auspiciously provided for than in the appointment of the Rev Dr O'Brien as our Pastor.
Proposed by Mr. Patrick McCarthy, seconded by Mr. Patrick Ryan: Resolved - That fully appreciating the honour and benefit conferred upon us by the Venerated Prelate of this diocese, in the promotion (if such it can be called) of so distinguished an ecclesiastic as Dr R. B. O'Brien, whose zeal, worth and transcendent abilities, have now after an experience of the past six weeks, become stamped on the hearts and minds of the people of these parishes, we feel called upon in justice to ourselves to testify in some substantial manner the public feeling on the occasion.
Proposed by Mr. W. Fitzgerald, seconded by Mr. Maurice Wallis: Resolved - That deploring the peculiar difficulties of Dr. O'Brien's present temporal position for want of a residence, we hereby propose to open a subscription to aid him in providing a building as to himself shall seem proper and befitting."
Five days later, a deputation of twenty parishioners waited on Dr. O'Brien at his lodgings and presented him with £200, stating: "We have witnessed with delightful satisfaction that our estimate of your world-wide fame has been realised, and we therefore pray that you will be pleased to accept the small gift herewith at your disposal". The Very Rev gentleman returned thanks in eloquent and impressive terms for about fifteen minutes and the deputation withdrew, not, however, without partaking of the Very Rev Gentleman's hospitality.
On the 27th January, a further meeting of parishioners resolved "to address a memorial to Frederick Charles Gascoigne Trench, Esq., praying that he will give a site and some few acres of land for the purpose of erecting thereon a suitable residence for our pastor, as also such a tenure of same as shall comport with the large expenditure necessary to be made, and the object for which the parishioners prefer their petition. Signed: Maurice Wallis, Chairman. Charles Shaughnessy, Sec." ©Irish Newspaper Archives
From 1861 until 1888 the Parish Priest of Ardpatrick lived in what was formerly the curate's house in Glenosheen. However in 1888 Father Canty had the present parochial house built on a little hill beside Glennaive, the holy glen. Since that time the priests of the parish have lived in that house [Ardpatrick by Fr John Fleming]. This was the same Father (later Dean) Canty who from 1910 to 1914 contributed three valuable articles relating to the history of Ardpatrick in the Irish Ecclesiastical Record.
Dean Michael Canty dies at ninety-five
One week later we are informed that "The Right Rev. Dr. Flannery, Bishop of Killaloe, preached the panegyric of St. Patrick, on Sunday, at Ardpatrick. His lordship's sermon was an admirable epitome of the life and labours of our glorious patron saint. High Mass was sung by the Very Rev. Dr. O'Brien [not Rev John Quinlan apparently], O.P., V.F., Kilfinane. The choir of St. Michael's was highly effective. An immense concourse attended, and his lordship and many of the neighbouring clergy dined with the hospitable parish priest in the afternoon"
Kilfinane and Ardpatrick became separate parishes on June 18th 1861. Thomas McEniry (1813-1879) left his post as curate in Newcastle West to become parish priest.
Fr Thomas McEniry died on April 5th 1879, aged 66 years
Picture for an Artist