Skip to content
Our Irish Heritage
Supporting & Promoting Irish History & Culture
Explore our archive
You are here:
See what's new
See what's new
Balla Holy Well
The development of a seventh century Monastery founded by St. Cronán in Balla, Co. Mayo was chosen by him as ...
Mother Francis Clare
The Nun of Kenmare This articulate independent – minded woman, a nun, an author, was driven by a strong, caring social ...
Mayo’s Ancient Castles Ruins
There were several Castles or Tower Houses in Mayo from the early centuries. There are no longer traces of several ...
There is an image of the castle at this site where the family history of Staunton’s is recorded. Adam Staunton ...
Shrule Castle was a detached three – Bay two – story farmhouse (re – built 1813, extant 1838, Occupied 1911) ...
Rappa Castle Ruin
This was an old Burke Castle that was granted to a Cromwellian soldier named Crofton. It passed into Knox ownership ...
Deel Castle Ruins or Caisleán na Daoile that means Castle of the River Deel was erected by the sixteenth century ...
An Article by Eamon Bourke author of ‘Burke People & Places’ recalled that in 1854 Thomas Lacey described this castle ...
Unfortunately, there is little information available on this castle ruins. Brize Castle or Bree Castle ruins may be viewed on top ...
Scattery Island Heritage, Co. Clare
Cootehill Railway Station, Killycramph, Cootehill, Co. Cavan
Cootehill former railway station was built on 10 October 1860 in an Early English Gothic Revival style by the company ...
Portarlington Railway Station
Victorian railway station complex, built 1850, comprising two ranges of buildings with former restaurant to one building. Renovated, c.1995. Designed ...
Longford Town Railway station, Earl Street, Ballymahon Road, Longford
Longford Town Railway Station was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company in 1855 to serve the ...
Geashill Rail Station, Ard, County Offaly
Geashill Station opened in 1856 and serviced the estate village of Geashill and surrounding areas. Geashill station is located on ...
Hazelhatch and Celbridge railway station, Co. Kildare
Hazelhatch and Celbridge railway station serves the village of Hazelhatch and the neighbouring large town of Celbridge in County Kildare The station opened on 4 August 1846 ...
Dunboyne Rail Station, Meath
Dunboyne Rail Station serves Dunboyne in County Meath. The original Dunboyne station opened in August 1862 on the Clonsilla-Navan railway line, ...
Rosslare Europort Rail Station, Wexford
Rosslare Europort railway station serves Rosslare Harbour in County Wexford and is the southern terminus for the Dublin-Rosslare railway line. ...
Plunkett Train Station, Waterford
The station opened on 26 August 1864 as Waterford North. It was renamed Plunkett on 10 April 1966 in commemoration ...
Killarney Station, Kerry
The Killarney railway station opened in on 15 July 1853 on the Mallow to Tralee line.
Drumsna Bridge, Drumsna, Leitrim
This seven-arch limestone road bridge with full-height cutwaters which spans the River Shannon was built c.1840.
Castleconnell Railway Station, Coolreiry, Co. Limerick
Castleconnell Railway Station County Limerick opened on 28th August 1858.
Suir Bridge, Caherabbey Upper, South Tipperary
The Suir Bridge is a triple-span railway viaduct over the River Suir on the railway line between Limerick and Rosslare ...
The Banshee mourns the Death of Balla Railway Station
This article was found recently, we think its ca. 1989. It tells the story of Balla Train Station and it’s ...
Borris viaduct County Carlow is a sixteen-arch limestone built former railway viaduct, c. 1860. Now closed. Designed by Irish civil ...
Morgan McMahon’s Boating History
Thanks Fiona for adding this.
Hanly Occupants House No. 10
I came across the grave of Sean og Hanley yesterday in St Mary's Kendal Green London. It stood out a...
Loughnashee Rock Art
the coordinates given here appear to be ESE facing slopes and at a substantial distance from Lachan Si. I have...
Kilfinane All-Ireland Hurling Champions 1897
Glad you enjoyed it Tom. Those men have a very special place in Kilfinane history.
More new comments