Ballingarry is in the Electoral Division of Glenbrohane, in Civil Parish of Ballingarry, in the Barony of Coshlea, in the County of Limerick. The Irish name for Ballingarry is Baile an Gharraí. Ballingarry is on Logainm.ie: Ballingarry.
Ballingarry Ogham Stone
One of Glenbrohane’s earliest and most important standing field monuments is the Ogham stone in the nearby townland of Ballingarry, which is one of the only known monuments of its kind in County Limerick. Ogham stones bear silent witness to an earlier, now forgotten language of the Celtic Iron Age (2,500 to 1,600 years before present). Ogham writing consisting of horizontal and diagonal lines along the vertical edge of stones usually commemorated the name of someone who, presumably, was a chieftain or king.
The Ballingarry Ogham Stone measures 1.47m in height, 0.46m in width, 0.275m in depth and is composed of red sandstone. The Ogham script is on the sinister edge of the southern face and reads Mailagni Maqi Gamati (Maolain, son of Gaghaidh). Ziegler has dated the stone to 366 - 433 AD. The stone stands on private land.
Ballingarry Townland Residence in 1911