Mayo Bridges

Burrishoole Bridge
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:County_Mayo_-_Burrishoole_Bridge_-_.jpg

Bridges are an important component of the early nineteenth century civil engineering heritage within Ireland.  Below is a list of several bridges, several still in use whilst others are obsolete within County Mayo.

Annie Brady’s Bridge

During1841 a road that ran from Glenamoy to Carrowteige was approved then eventually completed in 1846 yet without a bridge erected over the Muingnabo River.  People crossed the river on unsafe paving.  During the Great Famine or the following years this river ford became the parting point between the emigrants plus their families.  Scenes of extreme lamentation also distressed sadness were witnessed at the area.  During the years, the river regularly became a roaring torrent that swept people or cattle away.  Annie Brady was the wife of the Inspector of Fisheries for the area.  She decided to raise money to build a bridge at the site to assist people to travel in safety further on with their loved ones.  The bridge was constructed during 1886 but was swept away by a great flood in 1933.  It was then replaced by a new structure still in situ. [i]

At Muingnabo the river – bed was paved at a ford that remained until 1886 when the Annie Brady Bridge was constructed.  During the Irish Famine plus the following years emigration was a way of life from this area.  The emigrants with their family parted at this river ford ‘here indeed were witnessed, scenes of lamentation almost as bad as death, for in most cases in those days it meant separation forever, a living death.  Friends and exiles alike carried the painful remembrance of the sad parting.’ (Corduff I.F.C. Ms.1242 p. 438.)  Annie Brady was the wife of the Inspector of Fisheries for the area who witnessed all those sad partings with their difficulty in crossing over the river.  She raised money to build a bridge at the site to ensure that the poor people of Erris could travel further with their loved ones.  In 1933, a flood carried away the Annie Brady Bridge, but it was replaced, it is still in situ today.[ii]

During 1841 a road was approved to run from Glenamoy to Carrowteige.  During 1842 the drains for the road were partially opened but by 1845 was without bridges.  Eventually in 1846 it was declared completed.  At Muingnabo, the river – bed was paved at a ford, it remained that way until 1886 when the Annie Brady Bridge was constructed.  Annie Brady had been the wife of the Inspector of Fisheries for the area.  She had witnessed the difficulty of crossing the ford.  She raised money to build a bridge at the site.  During 1933 a flood carried away the Annie Brady Bridge, but it was later replaced.[iii]

Near the Glenamoy river a short distance from where the river enters to estuary of Sruwaddacon Bay is the Annie Brady’s Bridge.  During 1841 a road that would run from Glenamoy to Carrowteige was approved but not completed until 1846.  Without a bridge erected over the Muingnabo river an unsafe crossing of paved stones was the only alternative for the people during the Great Famine plus the following years.  This river ford was the parting point for all emigrants.  Several families’ scenes of lamentation with its the deep sadness were witnessed in the area.  Annie Brady was the wife of the Inspector of Fisheries for the area who had witnessed several such scenes.  She decided to raise money to construct a bridge at that site to assist people to travel further in safety with their loved ones.  The bridge was constructed during 1886 but swept away by a great flood during 1933.  It was then replaced by a new structure still in situ. (Image on site by Oliver Dixon) [iv]

According to this link the bridge is located northwest of the Glenamoy bridge: https://mapcarta.com/18977982

This link states the coordinates for the Annie Brady Bridge are 54 16 14.0 N, 9 43 29.0 W:

https://cartographic.info/names/map.php?id=405722&f=2

 Bangor Bridge

A bridge was constructed at the crossing over the Owenmore River during 1843(?) to a design attributed to Henry Brett (d. 1882) County Surveyor for County Mayo.  It was regarded as an important component of the mid nineteenth century civil engineering heritage of County Mayo with the architectural value of the composition by the elegant ‘sweep’ also by ‘sparrow pecked’ dressings.  The four segmental arches had drag edged rusticated limestone ashlar voussoirs that provided a pleasant visual statement.  This structure had repointed coursed tooled cut – limestone walls that centred on tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers of pyramidal capping with dragged cut – limestone stringcourses to support parapets with tooled cut – limestone rounded coping.  This bridge was repaired during 1962.  A benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography plus the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  Registered Number is 31302605.  Coordinates are 86242, 322873. (date recorded 20th January 2011) [v]

Bangor Bridge is a four-arched masonry bridge that spanned the Owenmore River in Bangor in North Mayo.  It was constructed between 1816 and 1838 according to this link: https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html

Ballaccorick Musical Bridge

An article by author may be viewed at this link: https://www.ouririshheritage.org/content/archive/place/miscellaneous-place/bellacorrick-musical-bridge

Ballina Bridges

An article by author may be viewed at this link:

https://www.ouririshheritage.org/content/archive/place/miscellaneous-place/ballina-bridges

Bellakip

This Bellakip bridge was constructed circa 1700, it spanned the Bellakip River.  It represented an integral component of the civil engineering heritage of the rural environs of Louisburgh by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches.  The pair of segmental arches with limestone ashlar voussoirs was erected with unrefined local fieldstone that was offset by sheer limestone dressings.  Walls were centred on limestone ashlar rounded triangular cutwaters to pier that had domed pyramidal capping.  It was still in situ during 1838.  A benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography plus the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  Images may be viewed at this link. Register Number is 31309601.  Coordinates are 82553, 279708.  (date recorded 21st January 2011.)[vi]

Castlegore Bridge

This bridge spanned the River Deel in County Mayo.  It contributed positively to the fragmented Castle Gore Estate with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by the ‘sparrow pecked’ dressings also by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the five arches with drag edged tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs.  The walls were centred on tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers to south elevation on mass – concrete battered bases that had pyramidal capping with stone – encrusted rendered rounded coping to parapets.  It was extant during 1838.  An image is featured on this site.  Registered Number is 31303009.  Coordinates are 117877, 318894.[vii]

Caslegore Bridge was erected across the Deep River near Crossmolina.  Constructed between 1791 to 1816 when Lord Tyrawley founded his Deel Castle Estate.  The bridge had five arches with cutwaters plus a gentle rise towards the centre.[viii]

Clapper Bridge Louisburgh

A lengthy ‘clapper bridge’ or footbridge was constructed by John Alexander, Secretary of the Society for the Protection of Rights of Conscience.  The thirty – seven ‘clapper bridge’ or footbridge spanned the Bunleemshough River in Louisburgh.  Erected to a cranked L – shaped plan the bridge was widely accepted as an important component of the nineteenth century heritage of County Mayo.  There are several images on this site.  Registered number is 31309503.  Coordinates are 75352, 275928.  (date recorded 21st January 2011) [ix]

This Bunlahinch Clapper Bridge is largest complete clapper bridge within Ireland.  The design was prehistoric, but several bridges may be dated to the medieval period.  It was constructed West of Louisburgh in Co. Mayo.  It spanned the narrow Bunleemshough River at the river’s low water depth.  This pedestrian bridge was fifty metres in length.  Constructed with thirty – seven arches, it dated to the 1840’s.  Materials used were clapper or flat limestone slabs circa 0.6 metres in width that rested on piers of approximately 0.6 metres above the riverbed. [x]

During 1863 John Alexander constructed the ‘Clapper Bridge’ across the streams that separated two rows of houses.  This remarkable Clapper Bridge took its name from the word Clapper which is the plural for the Anglo – Saxon word ‘Clam,’ it signified a construction that was Roman in origin.  This bridge was a low curved construction of one hundred & thirty feet in length. formed of thirty – eight boulders that was spanned by slabs of stone.  It also consisted of a row of two uprights crossed by a topping slab. [xi]

The Clapper Bridge or locally known Colony Bridge is situated West of Louisburgh at Burlehinch near Killeen.  It is believed to have dated from medieval times.  It is the largest complete primitive clapper bridge within Ireland.  Constructed for pedestrians at a site on the river where the water depth was generally low.  This Clapper bridge spanned fifty metres across the river.  The thirty – seven arches were superbly constructed of a clapper or flat limestone slab approximately 0.6 metres in width that rested on a pier approximately 0.6 metres above the riverbed.  This bridge remains a unique yet unusual monument to a distressful period of Irish history.  (Mayo County Council maintains the bridge in unblemished condition.) [xii]

This Clapper Bridge takes its name from the word Clapper that is the plural for the Anglo-Saxon word ‘cleaca’ or ‘bridging the stepping – stones’.  Located at the Colony near Louisburgh the Clapper Bridge is a footbridge that spans the Bunleemshough River.  Constructed to a low curved design it was forty metres in length.  It was formed by thirty – eight boulders spanned by slabs of stone across a shallow ford.  This bridge remains a unique yet unusual monument to a distressful period of Irish history.  (Mayo County Council maintains the bridge in unblemished condition.) [xiii]

Clongullaune Bridge

The Clongullaune Bridge spanned the River Moy.  This road bridge was constructed to a design attributed to Alexander Nimmo (1783-1832) Engineer to the Western District (Wilkins 2009 (249) during 1822 to 1825 with a series of six round or segmental arches with tooled limestone ashlar or repointed cut – limestone voussoirs.  It was completed during 1826 plus extant in 1838.  This bridge represented an integral component of the early nineteenth century civil engineering heritage of the rural environs of Swinford with the architectural value of the composition by the surviving ‘sparrow pecked’ stonework of the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches.  The limestone walls were erected with coursed rubble retained sections of tuck – pointed tooled limestone ashlar that centred on triangular cutwaters to piers with pyramidal capping that also rendered rounded coping to parapets.  Aspects of the composition clearly illustrated the near – total reconstruction of the bridge that was attributed to Edward Keville Dixon (1860-1942), County Surveyor for County Mayo (IAA) that followed an explosion that occurred during ‘The Troubles’ of 1919 – 1923. (ibid., 247) possibly from   1921 to 1922.  Several images feature at this link.  Registered Number is 31306106.  Coordinates are 134804, 301483.[xiv]

Clongullaune Bridge is a six – arched bridge erected pre – 1811.  It is located near Swinford in County Mayo plus spans the River Moy.  During the War of Independence, it was extensively damaged.[xv]

‘The Mayo News’ has an image of the realigned Cloongullane Bridge in its issue 25th May 2021 on page 15.

Deel Bridge

Crossmolina town is situated on the River Deel.  The town derived its name from the Irish Cros Ui Maolfhiona as a result of a cross which was erected there in memory of O Maolfhiona who was a member of the local ruling family also a chieftain of the Clann Fiachra.  A large stone bridge was originally constructed over this river but was replaced during 1893 by an iron bridge.  A further bridge was constructed on the site during the 1980’s.[xvi]

The Deel Bridge is located south – east of Bellacorick in County Mayo.  It was constructed pre – 1816.  It spanned the Deel River according to this link: https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html

Drumsheel Upper

Defined as a narrow ‘accommodation bridge’ identified as an integral component of the mid nineteenth century civil engineering heritage of south County Mayo that spanned Cong Canal by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the single arch.  There had been an ill – fated Cong Canal begun during 1848 that was abandoned in 1856 under the Drainage (Ireland) Act, 1846.  This Single segmental arch was prepared in 1852 then constructed during 1853, it was completed in 1854.  Designed with the architectural value of the composition of the rock faced dressings the rusticated rock faced limestone ashlar ‘crow stepped’ voussoirs that centred on rusticated rock faced cut – limestone keystones.  The walls were erected with coursed or snecked limestone between coursed or snecked limestone battered piers while rock faced cut – limestone stringcourses supported parapets that had rock faced cut – limestone coping.  The bridge was in situ during 1894.  A discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections of cartography with the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  There is an image on this page.  Registered Number is 31216002.  Coordinates are 114695, 255941.  (date recorded 13/12/2010) [xvii]

Foxford

This Foxford bridge that spanned the River Moy represented an integral component of the civil engineering heritage of County Mayo with the architectural value also the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches with the rock faced surface finish offset by ‘sparrow pecked’ sheer limestone dressings.  According to Lewis 1837 (I, 634) one retained the basis of ‘a very ancient bridge…now in a state of decay.’  This bridge was constructed with a series of seven round arches with drag edged tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs.  It had tuck pointed coursed rock faced cut – limestone wall to south – west upriver with elevation centred on drag edged rock faced limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers. Also drag edged tooled cut – limestone pyramidal capping with drag edged rock faced cut – limestone stringcourses to support parapets, it had drag edged rock faced roughhewn limestone coping.  The bridge was extant in 1895.  A discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography also the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  An image of this bridge features on this site.  Registered Number is 31206002.  Coordinates are 126848, 304134.  (date recorded 26th November 2010) [xviii]

Glenacally Bridge

This Glenacally Bridge was erected to a design by Alexander Nimmo (1783-1832) Engineer to the Western District that spanned the Glennacally River.  It was widely regarded as an important component of the early nineteenth century civil engineering heritage of South County Mayo with the architectural value of the confirmed by the sheer sandstone dressings also by the ‘pointed’ profile of the single arch road bridge.  It was constructed during 1826 of coursed or snecked sandstone walls with abbreviated drag edged tooled cut – sandstone stringcourses that supported parapets of rubble sandstone coping.  The pointed arch with sandstone ashlar voussoirs centred on inscribed cut- sandstone keystone that is dated ‘1826’.  This bridge was in situ during 1824.  A discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography plus the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey.  (Registered Number is 31311605.  Coordinates are 93473, 265647.  (date recorded 11th November 2011.) [xix]

The Glennacally River is situated on the North West side of Maumtrasna Mountains near Leenane. Originally a ford crossed the stream.  Pre-1816 a single pointed arch was constructed to replace the old ford at Glenacally Bridge.[xx]

Glenacally Bridge is mentioned in this PDF: https://connemaramountainwalkingfestival.com/assets/files/Connemara%20Mountain%20Walking%20Festival%202020%20Itenary.pdf

Glenacally Bridge is mentioned on Sunday walk B in this PDF: https://www.leenanevillage.com/Walks_2018.pdf

Hollymount Bridge

This footbridge erected on the fragmented Hollymount House Estate continued the development or ‘improvement’ of the estate during the nineteenth century with the architectural value of the composition by the ‘sparrow pecked’ sheer limestone dressings also by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches.  The bridge was known as ‘Demesne Bridge’ (Twenty-First Report 1853 (131), it spanned the Robe River.  The bridge was constructed with a series of five segmental arches with tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs centred on tooled cut-limestone keystones with coursed rubble limestone walls.  It was centred on tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers on drag edged rock faced limestone ashlar bases also with capping of roughhewn limestone ‘battlemented’ coping to parapets.  It was extant in 1853 (?).  Photograph courtesy of Mayo County Council.  Registered Number is 31311024. Coordinates are 126255, 268610.  (date recorded 7th March 2011.) [xxi]

The simple triple arched Hollymount Bridge is on the approach to Hollymount village.  It spans over a bridge the river Robe.  It is a typical South Mayo bridge built out of local limestone.[xxii]

Luggykelly

This single – arched road bridge over a stream represented an integral component of the civil engineering heritage of the outskirts of Westport with the architectural value of the composition by the rock faced surface finish that demonstrated by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arch.  It was erected at a crossing over a minor stream that once channelled as a mill race to provide power to the nearby Quay Flour Mills.  It was a single round arch with repointed rock faced limestone ashlar voussoirs.  The bridge was constructed with pat repointed snecked rock faced limestone battered walls with rounded coping to parapets.  Extant during 1838 it was disused by 1897.  There are two images on this site.  Registered Number is 31211018.  Coordinates are 97740, 284185.  (date recorded 27th August 2008) [xxiii]

Knockadangan

Joe O’Donovan the Mayo born Engineer is remembered for his bridge designs that included the spectacular Boyne Bridge on the M1 motorway West of Drogheda in Co Louth also the Dargan Bridge that carries the Luas light rail over the Taney Road junction in Dundrum Dublin.  This Knockadangan Bridge was constructed during 1978.  (Irish Times 17th May 2008) [xxiv]

Knockadangan Bridge is located east of Toreen in County Mayo according to this link: https://mapcarta.com/18977616

This bridge is mentioned at this link: https://satellites.pro/Knockadangan_Bridge_map#54.107498,-9.295244,18

Palmerstown Bridge

This eleven-arched road bridge spanned the Palmerstown River at Doonamona in County Mayo.  This bridge was constructed in the North of the county.  It was widely accepted as an important component during the eighteenth century’s civil engineering heritage with the architectural value of the composition by the ‘sparrow pecked’ sheer limestone dressings that demonstrated the good quality workmanship also the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches (featured by Taylor & Skinner 1778 pl. 219.)  The arches had tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs.  The roughcast walls were centred on tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers that had pyramidal capping with rendered coping to parapets.  The bridge was in situ during 1777.  A discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography also the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  Registered number is 31301417.  Coordinates are117268, 331445.[xxv]

The eleven stone arched Palmerstown Bridge spans the Cloonaghmore River.  It is located north-west of Killala between the townlands of Castlereagh & Rathnawooraun.  According to folklore it was constructed circa 1788 by the Langan brothers of Donegal.  During 1798 General Humbert with his French Army crossed over the bridge after their landing at Kilcummin.[xxvi]

Pat Randall’s Bridge

These three- arched bridge was constructed during 1780.  It is situated at Loghtavarry near Castlebar.  It spans on the Tooemore River.[xxvii]

Sonnagh Bridge Charlestown

This Sonnagh Bridge at Charlestown was erected to a design by John Joseph Noonan (b. 1879/80), County Surveyor for County Mayo North Riding.  This two – arched road bridge of segmental arches with drag edged rock faced limestone ashlar voussoirs that spanned the River Sonnagh represented an integral component of the early twentieth-century civil engineering heritage of the rural environs of Charlestown with the architectural by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches also by the robust rock faced surface finish.  One that was reconstructed ‘by direct labour’ retained portions of an eighteenth-century bridge that is marked on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1838; published 1839). Constructed with tuck pointed snecked rock faced limestone walls between drag edged rock faced cut – limestone buttressed piers centred on tooled limestone.  There was an ashlar triangular cutwater pier to south upriver with elevation of pyramidal capping of drag edged rock faced cut – limestone stringcourses to support parapets that had drag edged rock faced cut – limestone coping.  A benchmark was inscribed with cut – limestone dated stone ‘1915 – 1916.’  The bridge was extant during 1917.  A submerged benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography with the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  Registered Number is 31306207.  Coordinates are 144834, 300986.  (date recorded 6th November 2010) [xxviii]

Sonnagh River is located just outside Charlestown.  During 1915 Swinford District Council constructed the Sonnagh Bridge to replace the pre – 1816 bridge.[xxix]

Shrule

This Shrule single segmental arched road bridge between drag edged tooled limestone ashlar ‘bas-relief’ piers with drag edged rock faced limestone ashlar radiating voussoirs spanned the Black River.  It represented an integral component of the mid nineteenth century civil engineering heritage of south County Mayo with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arch also the rock faced surface finish with this arch succeeded an eighteenth-century bridge that was illustrated in ‘The Dublin Penny Journal.’ (9th February 1833.)   The walls were constructed with tuck pointed snecked rock faced limestone battered with benchmark – inscribed drag edged rock faced limestone ashlar parapets of mass – concrete rounded coping.  It was in situ during 1857.  A benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography plus the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  There are images plus a sketch featured at this link.  Registered Number is 31312215.  Coordinates are 128041, 252594.  (date recorded 14th December 2010) [xxx]

Ugool

Up until the early 1980’s residents on the far side of the Ugool Suspension Bridge near Bellacorrick in North Mayo were unable to bring their vehicles to their homes without taking a longer alternative upstream route that could only be assessed when the river was low.  During 1982 Mayo County Council demolished the old suspension bridge then constructed a new Ugool Bridge.  It was a single – lane fixed reinforced bridge.[xxxi]

Ugool Bridge within Co Mayo was designed during 1981 by the Mayo born Engineer Joe O’Donovan according to an article in the Irish Times issue 17th May 2008.[xxxii]

Westport Demense

A bridge erected to a design attributed to Richard Castle (d. 1751) contributed positively to the values of the Westport House estate with the architectural value of the composition of the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arches also by the ‘sparrow pecked’ sheer limestone dressings of this bridge that spanned the Westport or Carrowbeg River within the Westport Estate.  Colloquially known as ‘The House Bridge.’  Constructed in 1734 (?) with a series of four segmental arches in with drag edged tooled limestone ashlar block & start voussoirs.  Part walls were centred on drag edged tooled cut – limestone triangular cutwaters to piers with cut – limestone coping to parapets.  The bridge was extant during 1760.  A discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography also the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).  Registered Number is 31211050.  Coordinates are 98833, 284595.  (date recorded 21st August 2008)[xxxiii]

A bridge was erected as one of a non-identical pair (see 31211052 illustrated) the continued development or ‘improvement’ of the Westport House estate at the turn of the nineteenth century with the architectural value of the composition, one superseding a bridge included in ‘Westport House’ (1760) by George Moore.  It was confirmed by the ‘sparrow pecked’ sheer limestone dressings also by the elegant ‘sweep’ of the arch at a crossing over the Westport or Carrowbeg River in Westport House grounds.  The single segmental arched road bridge with drag edged rusticated cut – limestone block & start voussoirs centred on drag edged rusticated cut – limestone keystones that had part repointed coursed rubble limestone walls with dragged cut – limestone ‘saddleback’ coping to support drag edged dragged cut – limestone piers with beaded stringcourses below stepped capping that centred on balustraded parapets.  The bridge was extant 1838.  There are several images at this link.  Registered Number is 31212008.  Coordinates are 99346, 284500.  (date recorded 22nd August 2008) [xxxiv]

Windy Gap Bridge

The Windy Gap Bridge is located at the area known as the Windy Gap near Castlebar.  This old barrel arch bridge was constructed pre – 1816.  It is mentioned at this link: https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html

Footnote

This link has several images of bridges within Mayo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bridges_in_County_Mayo

Bibliography

[i] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[ii] Upstream (https://irelandbyways.co.uk/top-irish-peninsulas/the-west/co-mayos-peninsulas-islands/6/) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[iii] Carrowteige Bridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrowteige) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[iv] Glenamoy River (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenamoy_River) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[v] Bangor Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31302605/bangor-bridge-srahgraddy-bangor-latterly-bangor-erris-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[vi] Bellakip Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31309601/bellakip-bridge-bellakip-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[vii] Castle Gore Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31303009/castle-gore-originally-deel-castle-deelcastle-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[viii] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[ix] Roonagh Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31309503/roonah-bunlahinch-county-mayo) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[x] Visit Clapper Bridge (https://www.discoverireland.ie/mayo/clapper-bridge) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xi] Bunnahinch Clapper Bridge (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/louisburgh/history/bunlahinch-clapper-footbridge.html) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xii] Bridges (http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/transport-infrastructure-/bridges/) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xiii] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xiv] Clongullaune Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31306106/cloongullaun-bridge-cloongullaun-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xv] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xvi] Crosmolina History (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/crossmolina/crossmolina-history.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xvii] Drumsheel Upper (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31216002/drumsheel-upper-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xviii] Belass Foxford (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31206002/bellass-foxford-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xix] Glennacally Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31311605/glennacally-bridge-glennacally-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xx] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxi] Hollymount Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31311024/hollymount-house-hollymount-demesne-hollymount-county-mayo-2) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xxii] Mayo Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xxiii] Luggykelly Cloonmonad (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31211018/luggykelly-bridge-ardmore-murr-by-westport-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxiv] Brilliant Engineer (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/brilliant-engineer-best-known-for-bridges-1.1213504) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxv] Palmerstown Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31301417/palmerstown-bridge-castlereagh-tira-by-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxvi] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxvii] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xxviii] Sonnagh Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31306207/sonnagh-bridge-sonnagh-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxix] Bridges (https://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/bridges-in-co-mayo.html) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxx] Shrule Bridge (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31312215/shrule-bridge-shrule-shrule-county-mayo) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxxi] Bridges (http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/transport-infrastructure-/bridges/) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxxii] Brilliant Engineer (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/brilliant-engineer-best-known-for-bridges-1.1213504) [assessed 11th May 2021]

[xxxiii] Westport House, Demesne (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31211050/westport-house-westport-demesne-murr-by-county-mayo) [assessed 10th May 2021]

[xxxiv] Westport House Demesne (https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/31212008/westport-house-westport-demesne-murr-by-county-mayo) [assessed 10th May 2021]

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *