Before Collins Barracks became one of the sites of the National Museum of Ireland, it was an army barracks. First occupied in 1707, it was first called the ‘Barracks, Dublin’ and later known as “The Royal Barracks”. Many soldiers who were stationed at the Royal Barracks took part in wars that were led by the British Empire.
Irish independence in 1922 meant that the British Army left the Barracks, which was renamed after the former commander-in-chief of the Irish Army, Michael Collins. Collins Barracks was then home to the Irish Defense Forces until 1997.