Rev. Fr. Peter Walsh

Map Baronies of Mayo
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Baronies_of_Mayo.jpg
Our Lady's Hospice Blackrock, Co. Dublin
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Our_Lady%27s_Hospice,_Blackrock_Chapel.JPG
Sculpture by Tom Glendon at U. C. D.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Iphegenia_-_sculpture_on_UCD_campus.jpg
La Monument de la Trinite - Langonnet
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:005_Trinit%C3%A9-Langonnet.jpg
PariaFalls, Trinidad
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PariaFalls_Trinidad.JPG

Teacher / Superior

During his terms as Superior in Rathmines this Priest began a major building scheme at the school.

Peter Walsh was born on June 29th, 1885 in Ballynew, Hollymont, Co. Mayo. He was a relative of Cardinal John D’ Alton.

Studies

He was educated locally then entered Blackrock Juniorate at Co. Dublin at the age of twenty years on the advice of Rev. Fr. John Stephens during 1905.  He studied for his Matriculation under the RUI system in 1907. He attained the following  year an Arts First Degree.  He prefected at Blackrock from 1908 to 1910.  He travelled to France for his Novitiate until 1911.  With fellow students: James Mellet, Paddy Heerey also Con Mulcahy: he was amongst the last group of Irishmen to study there.  Peter Walsh was recalled by Fr. John T. Murphy to continue his University course at UCD where he obtained Honours in his B. A.  examination.  He returned to France to continue with his studies for the priesthood.  As WW2 was ongoing, he was transferred to Langonnet.  He was Ordained during 1916 in Vannes.

Trinidad

From 1917 to 1932 Fr. Walsh taught at St. Mary’s in Trinidad where he was appreciated as an excellent teacher.

Dublin

Fr. Walsh was appointed Superior of St. Mary’s in Rathmines until 1945 then as Vice – Superior until 1960.  During his term of office: he expanded the school building plus he established a Junior school. He re – established the Past Students’ Union.  He inaugurated a Scout Troop plus established a Presidia of the Legion of Mary.  His major building scheme began during 1941, despite the difficulties of the war years.  He oversaw this expansion developed further during 1952 and 1965.

Footnote

It was recalled by his Community that his last years were beset by an illness that he bore bravely; he was an inspiration to all whom he was in contact with.

His demise occurred on September 8th, 1996 when he was aged eighty – one years.  He was interred in Kimmage, Dublin.

Source

 www.spiritan.ie/oldSite/irish_spiritans_remembered.pdf

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *